Monday 5 March 2012

How to Disable a Disabled person.


As some of you may know, I am disabled; you also may know that I usually drive/roll in an electric wheelchair. Unfortunately a week ago I had a run in with a set of stairs…and broke it…just a bit.



This event has now bound me to my manual wheelchair for a couple of weeks. Although many people wouldn’t think there’s much of a difference. They’re wrong, there is.

You see I now have to rely on other people to take me to places at certain times. Don’t get me wrong a lot of people are helping me though and are very nice to take time out of their schedule for me, for which I am very grateful. But It has completely taken away my independence.

Before, I could go somewhere when I wanted or if I wanted to. It’s very distressing and quite upsetting. I spend years trying to find some independence, when I do though; I somehow find a way of losing it.

The problem is that until you lose your independence once, (in my case now twice) you don’t realise how important it actually is and how grateful you should be.

Wow, that’s quite a sombre way of ending the blog! I’ll try to cheer you up: cake, Christmas, money!

No comments:

Post a Comment